Monday, April 5, 2010

The final Thrust - Estocade


http://www.threadless.com/submission/265042/Estocade
My latest work. The unlikely encounter of Minotaur and a matador, will he be graceful? Line work, collage, texturing to achieve this old engraving look. This one was rejected on one site cause they thought it was scanned from a book (which makes me thing I've managed not too bad…;^)) and for violent content. On Threadless. Since there's still questions about how I do these… Here are the pictures I based myself on & the linework before texturing. So yup, it doesn't come from scratch & as far as I'm concerned, it's not about the skill - there are an infinite number of great illustrators out there that I wouldn't dare to compete with - so it's more about achieving the right style for the right design.
Mon dernier. Le rencontre improbable du minotaure et d'un torero. Dessin, collage et texturage pour arriver à cet effet de gravure ancienne. Refusé sur une premier site, ils ont cru que c'était un scan d'ue gravure (ce qui veut dire que je m'en suis bien sorti) et pour violence. Sur Threadless… + les images sur lesquelles je me suis basé et le dessin au trait…

11 comments:

Kakolak said...

Tu fait péter les bons commentaires avec ce visu ! Good luck Bro !

>> Joe SKULL said...

c'est vrai que ce que tu arrives à faire est tellement bluffant qu'on a du mal à y croire... magnifique!!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent artwork and technique! Bravo!

victor said...

Thanks les copains!

Ema said...

How can I buy this t-shirt? I love your desing!!!!!!!!

victor said...

Thanks Ema! Well if Threadless decides to print it, you'll be able to purchase it there… If it should happen I'd put a post here anyways. Cheers!

gemelli said...

you're amazing victor, your technique is so good so its seems everybody thought that you're just scanned it. haha.. just forget everything they say and keep up the good work bro!

Boycey said...

Love it, I think you made a completely original piece, it's just made from old parts from here and there.

victor said...

Thanks Gemmelli & Bocey!

Sam said...

So nice to see how this was actually put together. I have this on a shirt from Threadless, and it's my favourite design. Great job, and even better now I get to see how it was put together. I'm a music producer and this is really quite similar to me sampling stuff to make a new tune. It's not about where it came from but more where you take it to...

victor calahan said...

Thx Sam for the nice words, so glad you like the design, the process and the shirt! Cheers!